Twitter
RSS

What did Google do? Invent Google Voice

If you've been keeping up with tech news (and you should), you might notice a few things. One, Twitter was compromised, but not for evil. Another, was that Twitter (I like them) got a new front page, in order to facilitate searching by new members. And lastly, the focus of this post, was that Apple rejected the official GV (Google Voice) app for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Now, Apple's reason was that it "duplicated functionality." Which, is sort of true. Not so much for the iPod Touch, but Apps are usually designed with the iPhone in mind, but that's not the point. Anyway, the app would have brought Google Voice to the iPhone and iPod Touch. And I can see Apple's point, for it would have allowed calling people and text messaging. What I don't see is how Apple allowed VOIP apps, like Skype, which has the added bonus of calling landlines and mobile phones as well, and the plethora of text messaging apps.

(On an unrelated note, if you own an iPod Touch, purchase the Apple microphone headphones and get those apps. It's all the pleasures of an iPhone, without the hassle of an expensive plan ;P)

I'm sure Google will find a way to add a mobile version of Google Voice, so you can access it with any phone with web capabilites. But alas, unless you jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch with Cydia and download the unofficial app, there is no GV App goodness for you.

And to sorta go off track, I recieved a Google Voice invite! Now I just need my new phone to actually come in the mail. I think I'll really enjoy the transcribing of voicemails.

So, until next time,
Mahimahi42

Comments (0)

Post a Comment